Tuesday 11 November 2008

Wrong Move

Our next show, on Monday 17th at 7.45, after a three week gap, is a play called "Wrong Move". And it's written by me, Peter Briffa. It's my first full length play for P-P for over two years, so I thought I'd flag it up.

It's a two hander, starring Clive Greenwood and Johnny Hansler. We're rehearsing on Sunday.


I wrote the first draft back in the 1990s. It was never quite right, and although I took it out of the bottom of its drawer every two or three years, tampered with the structure and changed the dialogue, I never really got it right. I think now, under the helpful mentoring of John Morrison, that I may be there or thereabouts.

What I was aiming for a was Sleuth-type script. You know, runs for years, made into two movies, that kind of thing. It's a bit different, though. Darker, and more claustrophobic.

It's about a British thriller writer who comes to L.A. to sign the film rights for his latest novel, which has become an unexpected hit.

Unfortunately, there's someone else living in L.A. who isn't quite so impressed. He's Steve Temple, a former World Chess champion.

I based Temple on Bobby Fischer, who died this year. When I wrote the first draft Fischer was at his most reclusive, and had become quite a legend, not just for his chess-playing, but for his political paranoia.

Anyway, do come along. I've now set it in the summer and autumn of 2001, and the updates include mobile phones and all sorts of unpleasantness. When asked what the play was like last night I replied to Phil Philmar that it was a thriller. He then asked if it contained a gun.


It does! A bit like this one.

No comments: